Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Dymystifying the Strip Club




The strip club field trip is one of my favorite nights of the month. I love going back to the club as a customer. It is like visiting your old hometown. You see how much has changed and yet, how much remains the same. There are things you miss and things that you thank God you don't have to deal with anymore. But what I really enjoy is demystifying the club for girls who have never been. Showing them how sterile sexuality can be here and also how it can ooze from every surface. Revealing the inner workings, exposing secrets, and narrating the internal dialogue every stripper has in her head.
I think a lot of women are secretly dying to step inside. It is kind of like the boy's bathroom. You know it is there, you pretty much know what it looks like, but because it is a mysterious place that you never seem to be allowed to go, there is a little thrill when you step inside. Then you realize, oh, it's just a boy's bathroom. Big deal, and kinda gross!
I remember my first time walking into a strip club. There were breasts everywhere! Part of me just wanted to stare. I mean, never had I seen so many boobs running free. And so many perfect ones at that. Then part of me felt, no, you shouldn't look. It was a battle...look, don't look, hers are huge, you are supposed to look, don't gawk, look again, are those real? And then I witnessed a table dance. Wow! I actually used to think a table dance was done on the actual table. Well, she used the table but the only thing she was dancing on was him. I was also surprised by how the men were reacting. Some were totally mesmerized, others seemed to not even notice the flesh bouncing in their faces, some were even watching TV! I remember thinking the women were all so beautiful. How did they all hold themselves so well, with such confidence? How were they all just walking around naked, like no big deal? How did they all smell so good, have such perfect bodies, such smooth skin? How did they move so slowly, so seductively? How did they make every guy feel like he was the only one in the room. It all felt so magical.
Very soon, I would find the answers to all of those questions. My first year of dancing reflects that childhood memory of discovering how your uncle really pulls a quarter out of your ear. I discovered that it was all smoke, mirrors, and sideshow magic. I also discovered how entertaining and empowering it could be to become the magician.
The great thing for me is even after seeing the man behind the curtain, that magic is still there. Just as even when you learn that the quarter never really leaves his hand but is merely hidden, you still enjoy the trick. I think this is what brings so many men back again. They know how the trick works, but it is still a pretty good trick. There is something so arousing and forbidden about this world where you can be a voyeur or even participate in an atmosphere that intertwines music, writhing bodies, liquor, money, and the two sexes in a constant push-pull for control.
Strip clubs all across the United States are all the same. So if you really want to know what it is like, you simply have to go. A lot of couples and groups of women go on the weekends. Go and see for yourself. Or go with us, we go every month. The field trip is now going on in Texas and New York. Ask questions. Get a lap dance. And like the first time you see a real life magic show you will be awed, amazed, a little mystified, and you'll probably want to see it again.

No comments: