Thursday, June 19, 2008

Lovin' in the rain




What is it about this act that is so scrumptious? Is it because it reminds us of all those movie scenes we've watched? In the movies it is so perfect, with the lighting and the beautiful actors. And in real life...well, it gets pretty damn close.


I remember my first rain experience. Back in Austin, standing up, leaning against the rail, making love on my balcony in the rain, naked bodies, wet warm Texas rain, Prince's Purple Rain album playing in the background (so fitting). It was probably 4 in the morning. We could have easily been seen by neighbors, but it wasn't even a momentary concern. It was hot as blazes earlier that day so there wasn't even a hint of chill in the air. The rain wasn't very heavy and the sky was bright. It must have been a full moon or pretty close to it. I was totally in love and it was nothing short of amazing. But that was years ago.



However, I recently had a pretty amazing kiss in the rain. Here in NYC, we've been having a lot of heavy rain. It reminds me of Texas rain. It's warm and it comes down in these larger than life drops. This kiss was short and sweet, but perfect. I wish it would have lasted longer, like one of those back-alley-leaned-up-against-a-wall kinda kisses that goes on way longer than it should.


There were three of us. We were running...hell, we had been running in this downpour for at least a good 5 minutes it seemed. Laughing and screeching like children. The rain was heavy and we were completely soaked. My hair was as wet as it is straight from the shower. My flip flops slushed around on my feet. My shorts clung to my legs. Even my bra was soaked through. We stopped at a corner to wait for our friend who had fallen behind (it's really hard to run in wet flip flops). The brain said keep running, but we had to wait. What else was there to do?...he pulled me in and kissed me. And I so didn't want it to stop.


There is something about the taste of rain on lips, something about the feel of a lover's hand on your back as it presses your wet clothes against your skin. Something about the smell in the air, the darkness of the sky, the noise of the rain falling on your shoulders, the hair sticking to your face. The slippery feel of skin against skin. The knowing that you shouldn't be outside in this, but here you are, with not a care, acting as if the world has stopped around you.



Whatever it is, it's fantastic and delicious. And I hope it happens again soon.

No comments: